ABHC Farm Share Intern A program of the Allston Brighton Health Collaborative
Farm Share Intern Scope of Services :
The Allston Brighton Health Collaborative is seeking a Farm Share Intern to assist the food access coordinator on days we operate the farm share. The intern will support the Food Access Coordinator with daily on site support of running ABHC’s farm share operation. Primary tasks include facilitating farm share drop off, setting up tents, tables & chairs and breaking down the setup at the end of the day, organizing bags of produce, greeting farm share members upon arrival, administering surveys to members as needed, assisting members with any farm share related questions, reporting and logging member data, and other various tasks throughout the day.
The role requires personal confidence, patience, respectful dialogue and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, and can effectively create a warm and welcoming space for everyone.
- Must be present upon arrival and facilitate farms’ drop off of shares promptly at 11am.
- Setting up the event, including helping off loading farm shares (must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs), setting up the tent, tables, chairs, and any additional materials needed.
- Breaking down the event, including cleaning up the space, putting away tables, tents, & chairs, consolidating any left over shares from the day and donating to the food pantry and community fridge on site.
- Organizing and moving around bags of produce and maintaining an orderly presentable space for members. Greeting farm share members upon arrival and assisting them with their farm share.
- The intern will have access to members contact information and will be required to reach out to members on farm share days to remind them of their pick up.
- Administering surveys to members as needed throughout the season.
- Assisting members with any farm share related questions including inquiries regarding HIP/SNAP. Reporting and logging member data.
- Occasionally introducing residents to the program, educating them on HIP/SNAP and assisting them with the registration process to become a member.
- Assist Food Access Coordinator with any other various tasks as needed on farm share days.
Our goal is to ensure a welcoming environment for members, facilitate better understanding of members’ HIP/SNAP knowledge, and increase the number of residents accessing affordable healthy food in the neighborhood.
Hours of Operation:
11:00am-5:30pm 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of each month, in the event of rain we will move indoors (June 13th, June 27th, July 11th, July 25th, August 8th, August 22nd, September 12th, September 26th, October 10th, October 24th, November 14th, November 28th)
This commitment may have the opportunity to be extended into December and the winter months of 2024 and will be determined mid way through the season.
Brighton Allston Congregational Church 404 Washington Brighton, MA 02135
- Required: a commitment to supporting a safe and welcoming environment for people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, immigration status, religions and spiritual practices, genders, languages, abilities, and identities.
- Bi-linual communication in Spanish is strongly desired.
- Applicant must be reliable, friendly, a strong communicator, and a good problem-solver. Experience with customer service is a plus.
- Applicant must be able to work independently as well as interdependently with a team of other staff members and volunteers.
- Applicant is expected to be on-site and available to assist the Food Access Coordinator from 11:00am-5:30pm each farm share day.
- Applicant is expected to be available for cell phone contact with the Food Access Coordinator on farm share days and for regular e-mail contact throughout the duration of the contract.
- Applicant must be willing and able to work outdoors in the summer months during heat and rain and be capable of lifting up to 50lbs of weight.
- Applicant must not have responsibilities that otherwise conflict with these requirements.
The Farm Share Intern will report directly to the Food Access Coordinator. Allston-Brighton neighborhood residents and/or farm share members are encouraged to apply. Bi-linqual is a plus!
COMPENSATION: $600 stipend plus full fruit and vegetable share ($810 value)
To apply, please email a letter of introduction to: Anna Leslie, ABHC Director email@example.com Please include your full name and the job title in the subject line. With interest, a follow-up Zoom call will be required.