Program Summary: Our Brighton Campus is searching for a Cantonese-speaking volunteer to support our Joyful Connections Program at 2Life. Joyful Connections is a therapeutic program that addresses the particular needs of residents who are on the memory loss spectrum. The primary goal of Joyful Connections is to promote a positive emotion and sense of well-being in persons with dementia. Each session consists of three components based on the Alzheimer Association’s recommendations for activity planning─exercise, a healthy snack, and a therapeutic activity such as music and movement, dance, or art. The volunteer would support our Joyful Connections Program Coordinator by interpreting for our Cantonese-speaking residents who attend and assisting with program activities.
- Attend training relevant to your role
- Interpret for Cantonese-speaking residents who attend the program
- Support Joyful Connections program by participating in activities, providing assistance to residents as needed, and follow instructions from Joyful Connections Program Coordinator
Impact Goal: The intent of the program is to promote social connection, joy, and a sense of well-being for residents on the memory loss spectrum.
- 18 years of age or older
- Fluent, or proficient, in Cantonese is required.
- Comfortable working with older adults experiencing memory loss
- Ability to keep information confidential and maintain appropriate boundaries
- Willingness to help, flexibility, and patience
Time Commitment/Schedule: Looking for a volunteer to start in May 2023. Shifts available on weekdays Monday-Friday from 2pm-4pm. Preferred days are Mondays and Thursdays. Volunteer must commit to at least 3 months and keep a regular schedule.
Benefits: Obtain experience working with older adults experiencing memory loss, obtain experience interpreting, become a part of a community doing joyful work, cultivate new intergenerational friendships.